Mikaela Angelina Uy
I am a first year CS PhD student at Stanford University. My recent research interests focus on computer vision and graphics, specifically related to point clouds.
I received my Bachelor's degree double majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2017, and my Master's in Computing from the National University of Singapore in 2018. I then returned to HKUST as a Research Assistant for a year and had the wonderful pleasure of working with Prof. Sai-Kit Yeung, Dr. Binh-Son Hua and Dr. Duc Thanh Nguyen.
mikacuy [at] gmail [dot] com
mikacuy [at] stanford [dot] edu
Revisiting Point Cloud Classification: A New Benchmark Dataset and Classification Model on Real-World Data
Mikaela Angelina Uy, Quang-Hieu Pham, Binh-Son Hua, Duc Thanh Nguyen, Sai-Kit Yeung
IEEE International Conference of Computer Vision (ICCV), 2019 (Oral)
PointNetVLAD: Deep Point Cloud Based Retrieval for Large-Scale Place Recognition
Mikaela Angelina Uy, Gim Hee Lee
IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2018
HKUST Robotics Team, Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) Subteam
- Overall 3rd Place (Explorer Class) – 14th Annual MATE International Underwater Robotics Competition in St John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- Asia Champion in 2015 MATE Asia Regional Underwater Robotics Competition
- Built the main control software of the ROV, which operates with ROS and is controlled with an Xbox controller, and Qt GUI’s for the competition runs
- The team is composed of 15 engineers who built and designed the ROV from scratch.
- School of Engineering Fellowship, Stanford University, 2019-2020
- HKSAR Government Targeted Scholarship (Full 4-year university scholarship)
- NUS Graduate Scholarship for ASEAN Nationals (Full masters scholarship)
- Google Women Techmakers Scholarship, 2016
- Epsilon Fund Award, HKUST Mathematics Department, 2017
- International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) Bronze Medalist, 2012, 2013
- Philippine Mathematical Olympiad 1st runner-up, 2012, 2013
Hobbies and Interests
For most of my pre-university life, I was into competitive mathematics, with geometry being a favorite topic. I competed in various math competitions both local and abroad representing the Philippine Team. During my spare time back at home, I now train elementary and high school students for international math competitions. I was part of the training team of the 2017-2019 PH IMO team, and I led the PH team to a number of elementary math competitions.
I also enjoy playing soccer, frisbee and scuba diving. I was part of the HKUST Women's Soccer Team back in my senior year.